I just had a chance to review the WoW Preview Panel where Archaeology was very briefly discussed (I’m talking less than 5 minutes on the topic). But I was able to go through it several times and here’s what I gleaned. Some of this was already touched on by the WoW.com folks, but I think I’ve been able to fill in a bit more detail here:
- There are lots of ruins in Azeroth after the Cataclysm.
- You’ll be able to explore ruins and find Archaeology nodes.
- You use nodes (somehow) to do research.
- The research let’s you make discoveries.
- Discoveries lead directly into the new ‘Path of the Titans’ feature.
- You’ll be able to get artifacts and take them to something called world groups (perhaps similar to a faction?).
- World Groups are related to the different paths and will help players advance with the Titan progression.
This is a very brief description of Archaeology, but it’s been promised that more information will be shared during the Items and Professions panel. Stay Tuned!